Tips for Healthy Gardening to decrease the aches, pains and strains that often occur during gardening:
· Select garden tools that have padded and curved handles to protect hand joints
· Use pruners & clippers that have ratcheting / spring-action self-opening features
· Use a kneeler seat (kneeling platform & seat) or sit while gardening to decrease stress of your back, hips & knees
· Take rest breaks every 15 minutes
· Vary your tasks or change positions frequently to avoid overstressing one part of the body
· Use your legs when lifting (not your back)
April is Occupational Therapy Month
Occupational therapy practitioners enable people of all ages to live life to its fullest by helping them promote health, and prevent – or live better with – injury, illness or disability.
Occupational therapy practitioners have a holistic perspective, in which the focus is on adapting the environment to fit the person, and the person is an integral part of the therapy team.
Occupational Therapy is a nearly 100-year-old evidence-based profession deeply rooted in science.